This week went by so fast! But it really was a great week. My division alone had 950 people come to our Sunday Schools. Amazing numbers for this time of year. On Friday (my site: Pink Houses) I had over 200 people again for the third week in a row! You should see the kids on the tarps to. For my first site, my bigger site, we have 2 tarps on the sidewalk and both are packed with kids! Just imagine a sidewalk crammed with kids! And our truck blocking half the road so that we can actually put down the stage.....only in NYC. I love it! Also this Friday, while we were setting up the truck, and the kids weren't out of school quite yet, there was a shooting a block away from where we were in the projects. This was the second shooting in a month on a Friday while we were doing Yogi Bear. Pink Houses is like that though. It is one of the rougher projects in NYC. It actually has the highest murder rate in 2004 and I think 2005 it had the highest shooting rate in all of NYC. I could have my facts a bit mixed up, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.
Wednesday, I go with another division, because they don't have enough people to do Sunday School that day. So I drive their sidewalk truck out to the site, which is in an area of Brooklyn called Red Hook. So this Wednesday I was driving along with Timothy, one of the interns, and we were 3 blocks from the site when all of a sudden a fire truck had it's lights on to my right. We had the right of way, and the fire truck had a stop sign. But since they're an emergency vehicle I decided to stop for him, and had plenty of time to stop as well. So I stepped on the break...but my breaks went! It was crazy, and all in slow motion! But my truck didn't slow down at all, and the fire truck had already pulled out into the road, and I crashed into the side of it! Timothy and I were both just fine, but it was a little rattling.....especially considering the fact that we didn't have any way to stop. Kinda a crazy day. We had to get the truck towed and did Yogi Bear in the bus. It was still fun though!
Today was Indoor Sunday School. It was a lot of fun. We had a boys against the girls competition. The kids were so pumped! On the way home it was a little crazy. We had 72 kids on the bus, so you can imagine! On the way home though, I had one kid puke....thankfully I got him an empty box just on time! And a little 4 year old girl open the emergency exit door - not window, but DOOR - and it was swinging open while we were driving! A little scary thinking about what could have happened! An eventful day.
Tomorrow I have to be up early for church since the service time changed. It's "ticket sunday". Our families come to church tomorrow and get a ticket and then they come back the following week with the ticket and get a free turkey and box of food! Lots of extra people come, as you could imagine!
I'm off to plan a lesson here so I better go before it gets too late.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey DANA! Cool to see your blog! There are a couple of Metro-bloggers, but not to many that keep it up! See you around!
www.ferdiandtatiana.blogspot.com
Hi Dana,
I dont have your email address, but could you email me at d_rman@yahoo.ca. I wanted to talk to you about Metro and the internship!
Thanks, Dan from Evangel!
Post a Comment