Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Big "Wusup" from New York to Joel and all the Grade 3's!!!!

Hey grade 3's, Mrs. O, and my lil' bro Joel!

Joel's mom told me that you guys were gonna come check out my website this week, so I thought I'd write you guys a little note!

So I'm sure you all know that I'm Joel's big sister Dana. And I live in Brooklyn, in New York City. I bet you've probably seen New York on TV or in a movie. It has huge buildings...way taller than in Kelowna! And there are millions of people that live here!

I moved here to work with the kids that live in the ghetto. Most of them are black or Spanish. These kids have crazy lives that you can only begin to imagine. Most of them don't know their dads, and so they live with their moms and brothers and sisters. The people here are usually very poor and sometimes don't even get to eat during the day! But wanna know something funny? If their moms have some money, they will go and buy them really nice expensive clothes and shoes instead of food. Kind of silly, isn't it. The ghetto can be very dangerous because people do a lot of awful things. Yep, people shoot eachother with guns, sometimes even use knives. But there's also a lot of people that get robbed and beat up too! These are the people who need to hear about Jesus and how much he loves them!

Well, you might be wondering what I do here everyday. Well, I work doing a Sunday School that the kids call Yogi Bear Sunday School. On Saturdays we bring the kids on our busses to our church where we have sunday school. It's so much fun! There's always tons of candy and toys to give away! Then, during the week I go with my big yellow truck to the Projects. (The Projects are huge apartment buildings, but they're really small apartments and mostly people who are really poor live in them. They usually smell gross and are really dirty!) This is what we call Sidewalk Sunday School because we have Sunday School outside with the kids! We can pull down the side of our truck to make a stage and we have tons of toys, candy and music! It's so much fun. I know that you guys would love it! In one week of Sunday School, about 20,000 kids will come! Crazy, isn't it!?

I even get to visit my kids every single week, so some of them I know really good and we hang out sometimes. One of the main reasons why I'm even here is to show these kids God's love. Most of them have mom's who scream and yell at them and people that hurt them all the time, but I want them to know that there is a God who loves them.

Well, I think I've written a lot, and hopefully you're not too bored by now! There's so much more to tell. But if you have any questions feel free to ask me! I would love to answer them. If you go back to the top of my web page, there's some links to the right that you can click on. Maybe Mrs. O will let you check them out. (The Metro Ministries link, and the Metro Overview are probably the ones you may like). Come back here anytime, ok!

Jesus loves each of you so much.....more than anyone in the world could! Don't you forget that!

Later.

Dana (Joel's Big Sister)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for your leter Dana from David

Anonymous said...

thanks for your messag from Jaggar

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,
Last night I watched the video about Bill Wilson and the Metro Minstries. Wow! We have begun watching it in class and the kids are pretty interested to see the kids in Brooklyn. We have to go to library class now but we will write some of our questions to you later. Dalex says, "I enjoyed your letter. Are you glad your there in New York City?
Love,
Mrs. O. and Dalex
in Grade 3A
at K.C.S.

Anonymous said...

wusup dana i really miss ya.
thanks for the letter. we're havin a great time here in kelowna. i wish i could see you right now really........ love joel

Anonymous said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana!
Thanks for your letter, and I hope you enjoy all the ones we sent to you! One of Joel's classmates, Vanya.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana
This is David again. Joel is one of my best friends. I saw you skating at Christmas at the CNC.
My mom has the book Whose child is this? by bill Wilson, we are going to read it together. it is cool to e-mail someone in New York.
Be safe on those streets there.
love David

Anonymous said...

hey dana did you get my letter? that's all FOR NOW

Anonymous said...

hey dana did you get my letter? that's all FOR NOW CHELSEA

Anonymous said...

hey dana did you get my letter? that's all FOR NOW CHELSEA

Anonymous said...

I like your letter you wrote for us it was cool. and what you are doing for the kids talk to you later. love Justine