Saturday, November 05, 2005

5 Weeks Down, 6 To Go!

Another week down. And 6 more left until the end of semester. I can't believe how fast everything has gone already! I'm still lovin every minute of it...well, maybe that's an over exaggeration. Not everything is enjoyable here! Today was Indoor Sunday School. One of my kids from Pink Houses was there and she was hollerin at me to come over when she recognized me. So cute, her name is Hadia. I love seeing the kids go CRAZY!! They love it. Rode my bus today too. Love those kids. Met some new faces. One of the little guys, Jayquan, is so adorable! Every week he comes on with a great big smile and says "Hi Dana". The first couple of weeks that I knew him, I kept forgetting his name, so he'd come on and ask if I remembered his name that week. I'm glad he kept asking, otherwise I still wouldn't know his name! It's hard remembering tons of names. I wonder if there's a maximum amount the brain can hold? Haha, who knows!
Yesterday (Friday) was my site. I had 136 kids come out! I was so excited! Our theme was Bakery Week, so we had made a "Yogi Bakery" sign. And I bought a bunch of donuts to give away to the kids if they were singing real loud and what not. They seemed to really like it!
Tuesday night was another rowdy Revolution. There was a kid who pulled a gun out. Miss Pat (she is a huge help to us on Tabea's site and with the teens, very respected by the kids) is always ready to get in the action. She went up to the kid, thinking it was a fake gun and asked him what he was doin bringing it and that he should put it away cause he could get locked up for having it out like that. She took a second look at the gun, and realized it was no joke - the kid was for real. Nothing happened there, the kid put it away. We also had a worker pull out a blade, because some kid was getting all up in his face. Kinda scary when you got the kids who are supposed to be the leaders at youth pulling crazy stuff like that. I guess we'll have to start getting these kids to go through metal detectors or something before they come!
Good week altogether. We talked about "Control your anger or it will control you". May seem like a lesson that isn't affective, but trust me. If you could see how angry some of these kids are, you'd believe how vital this lesson was for them to hear. Even the sweet kids have a nasty side if they're provoked the wrong way.

I need to apologize to all those who have written me emails. I'm not meaning to neglect you! I looked in my inbox today and I now have over 100 emails...didn't realize I was putting it off that seriously! I know I keep on saying that I'll get to them. I promise you, I will. But please be patient with me! After semester is done it will be easier to stay on top of things, but until then please, please, be patient! I'm doing my best. Know that I love you all so very much. Until next time...

No comments: